Network/Internet Activity Graphs
There are many network/internet monitoring programs out there that can be used for inspiration, but these are the features that come to my mind:
1. Graph showing periodic pings to a given IP/web-address. The user can enter "google.com" and/or their website's address, for example, and set it to ping ever second or minute. This would act as a heart beat of the user's connection to the website(s) or the internet in general.
2. Graph showing internet upload/download speeds. Maybe have the program conduct an internet speed test periodically (a period prescribed by the user) to show how the speeds differ throughout the hour/day/week/month, and display the average speed for the hour/day/week/month. Maybe add a button for expedient testing on demand.
2. Graph showing the amount of upstream/downstream/total data used for a given period (a period prescribed by the user). This would be useful since some internet companies strictly limit data usage per billing cycle. It's also nice to see if a computer is using more internet than it should be using.
3. A list or pie chart of programs/processes/websites/connections using the most data and how much they are using. "Oh, look. A process called 'trojan.exe' is uploading at 2 MB/s." "Why is my internet so slow all of a sudden? Oh, Windows is downloading updates." "Who is 188.8.131.52, and why are they using so much bandwidth?"
4. An alarm can sound if there is high ping, lost connection or restored connection.
5. Features for routers and wireless connections (such as signal strength).
The Network Graph should also be part of the overlay. A good example is https://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/