Network/Internet Activity Graphs
There are many network/internet monitoring programs out there that can be used for inspiration, but these are the features that come to my mind:
- Graph showing periodic pings to a given IP/web-address. The user can enter "google.com" and/or their website's address, for example, and set it to ping ever second or minute. This would act as a heart beat of the user's connection to the website(s) or the internet in general.
- Graph showing internet upload/download speeds. Maybe have the program conduct an internet speed test periodically (a period prescribed by the user) to show how the speeds differ throughout the hour/day/week/month, and display the average speed for the hour/day/week/month. Maybe add a button for expedient testing on demand.
- Graph showing the amount of upstream/downstream/total data used for a given period (a period prescribed by the user). This would be useful since some internet companies strictly limit data usage per billing cycle. It's also nice to see if a computer is using more internet than it should be using.
- A list or pie chart of programs/processes/websites/connections using the most data and how much they are using. "Oh, look. A process called 'trojan.exe' is uploading at 2 MB/s." "Why is my internet so slow all of a sudden? Oh, Windows is downloading updates." "Who is 22.214.171.124, and why are they using so much bandwidth?"
- An alarm can sound if there is high ping, lost connection or restored connection.
- Features for routers and wireless connections (such as signal strength).
The Network Graph should also be part of the overlay. A good example is https://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/