Encountered an issue with CAM? Post it here!

Grid+ v3 - Total Wattage at 0W and no fans are spinning.

When setting up my newly bough Grid+ V3 with 2 x NOCTUA NF-F12 fans, CAM is seeing the Grid+ V3 controller but that is about it. What ever I do the total wattage is at 0W and non of the fans are spinning.
Tried on different rigs, and different fans same result. Running Windows 10 latest version.
Is this a hardware or software error.?

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Sander Rosenlund shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  AdminEric Lam (Admin, CAM ) responded  · 

If you are experiencing an issue where the fans on the Grid+V3 are not spinning. Please check the specs on those fans. Each channel on the Grid+V3 can only support up to 5 watts and if you exceed that threshold the Grid+V3 will have a failsafe to shut off all the fans. Using the included extension cables can cause this as well. At this time please shut off your PC and turn off your PSU. Then wait 10 seconds and turn your PSU and PC back on. See if the fans spin then.

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just received my Grid+ V3 and I'm having some troubles with it. I have four fans, two regular fans that was included with my chassi and two high-pressure radiator fans that is used to cool the radiator for the water cooling system. If I only include the regular chassi fans, the fans spin correctly, and I can tweak them in the CAM software. But as soon as I include the radiator fans, it appears that the failsafe kicks in, and stops all fans. I previously had a Grid+ V2, and there my radiator fans worked.

How can I fix this? I can't seem to find the watt-usage of my fans, I can only find that they're 12 volts.

If I can't control my radiator fans I see no point in having the V3, and I guess I will have to return the device...

• Sander Rosenlund commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Finally got it working.
        We did the power down and AC disconnect multiple times, but with no reaction to fans.
        Then we connected the controller with a USB cable to an external USB port which triggered all fans to start spinning, but we lost the Grid+ v3 controller from Device Manager and a new Unknown Device turned up.
        Needless to say but CAM could no longer see the Grid+ controller.
        We tried multiple USB cables, reboot, shutdowns and AC disconnect, but the end result was an Unknown Device.
        After a new power down and AC disconnect, we reconnected the controller back to the motherboard USB port and once we started the system up, the controller were no longer an Unknown Device and we were now able to control all the fans.

As I see it, it boils down to the lack of communication to end users.
        The software should be able to do a controller reset and also inform end-user, if the fans are non-compatible.
        This single piece of info. would make life so much easier for ALL.

• AdminEric Lam (Admin, CAM ) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi there, can you try turning off your PC and turn off your PSU. Then wait 10 seconds and then plug one fan in only. Then turn on your PC and see if it works properly. Repeat this for all the fans.

• Sander Rosenlund commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Each fan is rated at 3,5W and each on a dedicated channel. The fans spins shortly when turning on the machine. After that no-go.

Feedback and Knowledge Base