Encountered an issue with CAM? Post it here!

FANS FAIL ON COLD START OF PC

I Apologise for reposting:

This is critical on power up I should not have too "panic" that my performance PC fails to spin up on a start. Loading into Windows and then CAM fails to start my fans when I change Performance to fixed mode to initiate a spin up. INSTEAD, I have to switch off countless times on each start (this is not a good way to force fans to start) causing my system problems. See PC Spec:

OverClocked 4.4MHZ

Intel i7 5960X Extreme Octa Core CPU Processor (3.0 GHz, 20 MB Cache)
MSI Intel LGA2011-V3 Socket X99 Gaming Pro Carbon ATX Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LPX 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16 XMP 2.0 High Performance Desktop Memory Kit - Black.
2 x MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 GAMING X 8GB GDDR5X Graphics Card - Black
EVGA PRO 2 Way HB/High Bandwidth SLI Bridge - 80mm
Samsung 950 PRO NVMe M.2 512 GB Solid State Drive - Black
Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB 2.5 inch Solid State Drive
2x WD Purple Series 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM HD
Pioneer BDR-209DBK 16x SATA Internal BD/DVD/CD Burner
Corsair RM1000x 1000 W 80 Plus Gold Certified Modular 135 mm Thermally Controlled Fan Power Supply Unit - Black
NZXT Grid+3 Fan Controller
PCIe 4 port USB 2.0 card
NZXT 280mm Kraken X61 Intel AMD All-In-One Water Cooler
Cooler Master Stryker Computer Case "Window Side Panel, White"
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

I'd appreciate feedback on this as far as I can see it is set up if it helps I swapped out the BitFenix BFA-RCN-WS-RP - Recon Internet-Connected Fan Controller that I felt wasn't quiet enuff I'm starting to have second thoughts.

Please address this.

13 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Robert Dyet shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Eric Lam responded  · 

If you are experiencing an issue where the fans on the Grid+V3 are not spinning. Please check the specs on those fans. Each channel on the Grid+V3 can only support up to 5 watts and if you exceed that threshold the Grid+V3 will have a failsafe to shut off all the fans. At this time please shut off your PC and turn off your PSU. Then wait 10 seconds and turn your PSU and PC back on. See if the fans spin then.

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Robert Dyet commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Eric, I cannot run all my fans without the provided extensions (Which By the way is supplied by your Product). That said I was able to run 4 fans as a test and no change/difference.

Now someone has posted that this appears to be an issue since 2016? Obviously, I have no knowledge to substantiate this or not. As I have said before this is not what I expected when I purchased NZXT products and I cannot keep going around my pc to pull the plug causing undue damage to my system either there is an answer or I pull your product out. I have persevered with this coming up for a month. This is unacceptable.

• Peter B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Eric isnt gonna help. He will tell you do this and that but nothing will work. then he will close the thread and poof your problem was never a problem and you lost $170

• Admin[Deleted User] (Admin, CAM ) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi there, can you first shut off your PC and unplug all the fans and then turn on your PC and see if it spins?

Then turn off your PC and plug another fan into another channel (Do not use any extension cables) and see if that works.

Please try all the fans one by one and see if you run into any issues.

Hi Eric, I went thru the steps, you asked me too, but no change (although it was only 3 fails and started on the 4th restart) An improvement to previous or was it pure luck?

Does it matter if a connection port is used or not?

I do not use port 4 as previous images showed. (If I do invoke port 4 I would need to add a 2nd extension (Supplied in box) for Grid+V3).

I am at a loss as to what else to try.

• Admin[Deleted User] (Admin, CAM ) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can you try shutting off your PC and switching off your PSU? Then plug each fan individually to each channel. After, turn on your PC again and see if the fans spin normally.

Hi Eric Yes, I am using one of the supplied cables extensions on the front fan (it's too short) on port 2. I have had time to get at pc regarding Wattage used and going by CAM software in Fan section I am under 5Watts usage as per pic showing variable wattage in different modes below:

https://i.imgur.com/UAl5l1P.png

I went further (as pc wasn't booting anyways) I tried it with 2 fans, 3 fans, 4 fans and still NO BOOT with FANS. I finally coaxed it into life after 15+ power on presses (THIS SHOULD NOT HAPPEN).

The only workaround is "PERMANENT SLEEP MODE", that is the only way to date I have succeeded in getting my pc to function normally (Normally with Gric+V3).

I'm using standard 5 fan system the NXZT Grid+V3 has 6 ports for fans I am not using port #4 (I am using Ports 1,2,3,5 & 6, could this be why contributing factor? As for whether I am using under/over 5 Watts of power, I am unsure how to do or this.

As I said this only happens on a first startup basis (cold start) I cannot replicate it after it's been started.

As a workaround I have established putting PC into Sleep mode activates fans as normal when powering pc on in the meantime.

I have to await help too to get at pc again to get to the fans due to health issues.

Appreciate your response. Seasons Greetings to you and your staff.

Day 3 - 12 FORCED restarts of my PC this is pathetic, NZXT should be embarrassed to even associate themselves with this software. I am not one to get flustered but I can tell you your program is stressing and I'm hurting because of the countless power plug pullouts I am forced to do.

9 Bloody restarts of my PC is NOT ACCEPTABLE to get the fans to work.

Your response time to my issue is unacceptable too.

This is a serious issue, things are complicated enuff with mobility issues than for me to struggle with power cable pullouts and reinserts just to get the fans to power on.

Please help

CAM Bugs: Crashing

Feedback and Knowledge Base